Umbilical Cord Stem Cells
What are Umbilical Cord Stem Cells?
Umbilical cord blood is a rich source of stem cells from which other cells with distinct functions are generated. Umbilical cord stem cells can be used to treat diseases of the immune system and blood as well as for research purposes.
Under favorable conditions, stem cells divide to form specialized cell types with a distinct function, such as heart muscle cells, brain cells, blood cells, or bone cells. No other cells in the human body have the natural ability to produce new cell types.
Why is There Such an Interest in Umbilical Cord Stem Cells?
There is a great deal of interest in umbilical cord stem cells as they facilitate:
- Understanding of how diseases occur by observing how stem cells develop into distinct cells in heart muscle, bones, and other organs and tissue with specialized function
- Safety and effectiveness of new drugs by testing on stem cells before using them on people
- Generation of healthy cells to replace unhealthy cells (regenerative medicine) by guiding stem cells to become specific cells to repair and regenerate unhealthy or damaged tissues
What are the Special Properties of Umbilical Cord Stem Cells?
Umbilical cord blood is loaded with a rich source of stem cells that can be used to produce red blood cells and cells of the immune system. They are presently used to cure a wide range of immune system and blood disorders such as anemia, autoimmune diseases, and leukemia. They can also develop into cartilage, bone, and other types of tissue and are being used in research studies to find cures for other disorders and conditions.
What are the Advantages of Cord Stem Cells Over Adult Stem Cells?
Some of the well-documented advantages of umbilical cord stem cells over adult stem cells are:
- Cord stem cells consist of 10 times more stem cells than adult bone marrow.
- Cord stem cells rarely contain any infectious diseases and are less likely to be rejected than adult stem cells.
- Cord stem cells are free from any abnormalities whereas adult stem cells are likely to contain irregularities due to environmental risk factors such as toxins and errors acquired by the cells through replication.
- Cord stem cells have a natural ability to produce new cell types but adult stem cells cannot be manipulated to generate distinct cell types.
What is Liveyon with Respect to Cord Stem Cells?
Liveyon is an FDA-compliant stem cell product manufacturing company that is regarded as one of the pioneers in regenerative medicine and stem cell therapy. Liveyon’s cell therapy products are derived from one of the safest hospital sources. These products go through a rigorous screening process that include regulated and independent testing to keep up with the highest industry standards. Liveyon is known to provide high-quality cord stem cells for research purposes and treatment of degenerative diseases and other debilitating conditions. Liveyon’s products are regarded as easy to use and safe and demonstrated consistently high quality on independent testing.